Cultivating leadership in the next generation is an often overlooked, yet critical element of an organization’s future. Unfortunately, organizations sometimes forget to address this either early or often enough. This lack of succession planning results in a shortage of good leaders, which only hurts the long-term performance of an organization. Groom young leaders now, and everyone benefits.
For a leadership development program to be successful, the sponsors must be on-board and realize a need to address leadership challenges, invest in promoting exceptional leadership, or both. To develop leaders, we begin by assessing the leadership team. We then review the outcomes and build a customized roadmap that uses tools, programming, and other interventions to drive the desired outcomes. Finally, we reassess to measure progress, identify follow-on initiatives, and provide coaching.
Innovative leadership Development Solution
How people, or organizations, define each leadership characteristic varies depending on the culture and organizational purpose. Our framework and detailed leadership diagnostic highlights questions leaders at all levels of the organization need to be able to answer within the context of their role.
Developing leaders at all levels means approaching each leader level with respect to their current skills and the desired capabilities to ensure there are no gaps in development. Incorporating these key elements of leadership development programs for each level of leader can ensure development in targeted skills.
Leader development programs
- Self-assessment to identify current areas of improvement
- Leading a key functional project to practice increased responsibility and accountability
- Group coaching to allow emerging leaders to grow together, connect across organizational functions, consider future scenarios and roles, or develop a management mindset
- Professional or industry association involvement to gain deeper knowledge and connections in the industry
- Action learning to practice solving a high-level, complex, real-world business issue with a diverse, cross-functional group
- Individual mentoring and coaching relationships with higher-level or senior leaders to gain understanding of the business as a whole
- Cross-functional, cross-level, or international business assignments to diversify experience within the organization across business units or functions
- Leading a major organizational initiative or full-time strategic project assignment to practice building high-performing teams and leading other leaders
- 360-degree assessments to identify areas of improvement and how they show up to others
- Executive education programs and advanced degrees to build business acumen and critical industry-specific skills
- Demonstrated aptitude for analytics
- Outstanding record academic achievement
- Ability to work effectively with people all levels in an organization
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to communicate complex ideas.